Johanna is an accomplished theater practitioner, working for over two decades as a trainer, actor and collaborator on various award-winning theater projects both nationally and internationally. Communication and the performing arts are her passion, particularly the area of improvisation. She has designed and delivered training programs using the performing arts, communication, and creativity to meet distinct learning outcomes for many different companies. Johanna is based in Bondi, Sydney and is a long time practitioner of martial arts — this discipline complements her professional skills through the continual development of presence, strength, focus, flexibility, and being in the moment.
Johanna delivers dynamic and intimate one, and two – day, leadership programs to leadership groups from multinational corporate entities including: Liverpool City Council, Service NSW, Climate Council of NSW, Sydney University, NAB, Westpac, HSBC, Baker and McKenzie, Duke Corporate Education, Harvard Executive Education and more.
Johanna has been committed to both the business and performing sides of Playback Theater Sydney since 1991. This improvisational theater company delivers to both the corporate and community sector, using the performing arts to facilitate specific dialogue around particular issues. Johanna also designs and delivers her own coaching, training and presentation programs to private clients, leveraging her ongoing development in communication and the translation of hers specific theater and applied improv skills and experience. Topics include – body language and non-verbal communication, active and empathetic listening and rapport development, leadership and follow ship development, presence and presentation skills, storytelling and applied improvisation techniques to increase agility, collaboration and culture change. She also started her own massage practice, Body Language Remedial Massage.
- Performs with Playback Theater doing improvisational performance, ensemble team work, and spontaneously creation of theater from audience stories.
- Taught and performed Commedia Dell’arte in Sydney high schools. Conceived ideas, developed scripts, performed, and presented.
- Performed in the show Swan Laid with Theater Sol, which was produced locally and toured overseas in Canada, the U.S., and Japan. Won multiple awards including Best Show, People’s Choice, and Best Director.
Education and Credentials
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Communications, Health/Media from University of Western Sydney
- Certificate IV Workplace Training & Assessment from Sydney Community College
- Diploma in Movement from Drama Action Centre, Rozelle. Training in speech, drama, creativity, spontaneity, communication, and group process.
- Completion of a Results Coaching and Solutions Base Coaching course.