Dr. Melodie Hicks is an executive coach and senior facilitator with Ariel. Over the last fourteen years, Melodie has coached and trained managers and executives at all levels in a variety of industries. She has also designed and delivered programs in communication and leadership skills for companies such as Cargill, Heidrick & Struggles, Cisco Systems, Disney, Merrill Lynch, the Royal Bank of Scotland, and the National Science Foundation. She has in-depth experience with partners and directors as well as middle managers at a major international consulting firm. Melodie also teaches Advanced Coaching for Consultants to help them improve their coaching skills with their reports.
In Melodie’s previous work at Harvard University, where she produced award-winning science education videos and interactive television programs in partnership with the National Science Foundation, she interviewed and coached international celebrities in science education for their television appearances. Melodie has also worked extensively in integrating the arts into the traditional academic curriculum. She has coached teachers to use the arts to help students overcome obstacles to learning. She received a Rockefeller Foundation fellowship for her work in integrating the arts and technology in science education.
Melodie divides her time between Paris and Los Angeles. In her free time she enjoys writing, bicycling and spending time with her two grown daughters and two grandchildren.
Recent Coaching Assignments
- CEO, Reassurance company – Long-term coaching assignment with CEO of major British reassurance company during the time of a merger in order to help the executive adapt to significant culture changes in the organization.
- Lawyer/Department Head, Major entertainment company – Long term coaching assignment with lawyer overseeing legal department at major entertainment company. The coachee was entering the company from an academic background and needed to get up to speed to be able to manage a challenging team in this corporate giant. A new set of skills was required as well as techniques for maintaining confidence in that challenging situation.
- C-level executive, Technology & communications organization – Coached C-level manager in worldwide technology and communications organization. Helped manager to create demeanor of gravitas that could support his quick rise in the organization.
- Senior Partner, Management-consulting firm – Coached a senior partner in a management-consulting firm who had been brought in as an experienced hire from a very different industry. The coaching helped him leverage his good collaboration skills and at the same time be more directive when necessary.
Education and Professional Development
- Ph.D. in Transformational Studies from the California Institute of Integral Studies in 2014.
- M.Ed. from Harvard University with a focus in Educational Psychology and Learning Theory.
- Undergraduate degree from the University of California included coursework in the sciences and linguistics.
- Coaching training with Lore International Institute, and the Center for Executive Coaching in London, where she studied Somatic Coaching.
Additional Areas of Competence
- Qualified to administer and interpret Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).
- Coaching Certification including work with Somatic Coaching.
- Over 10 years experience in program design.
- Fluent in French.
What Clients Say
“Melodie was excellent. She was great at providing major input on both the pure interpersonal side, but also on the content side. Her feedback was extremely insightful.”
— Head of legal department for an international entertainment company
“Very helpful in challenging the participants to resolve the problem first, then gave her solution. Good at observing people and setting examples of improving skills.”
— Senior manager at a global information management company